At St George’s, we have a thriving Student Ambassador scheme which is home to around 200 active students. Our Student Ambassadors engage in a wide array of work from student recruitment events such as Open Days, widening participation activities such as Science Stars and marketing opportunities such as Student Room Reps. Our Student Ambassadors also support singular or infrequent events such as Spotlight on Science, MMIs and research events.
What is a Student Ambassador?
A Student Ambassador is a current St George’s student who represents the University in a positive manner. Being current students, our Student Ambassadors know what it is like to attend an interview at St George’s or navigate the building for the first time. Their lived experience is so valuable when talking to potential or current students, parents or carers, staff and external guests. Student Ambassadors come to the role with variety of different skills and experiences. You may have seen one of our Student Ambassadors in the light blue tshirts across campus!
Student Ambassadors are paid the London Living Wage (£10.75 p/h) for standard work and £12.60 p/h for a ‘delivery rate’; such as delivering a presentation or clinical skills session.
Want to get involved?
Each academic year, we recruit Student Ambassadors from all Undergraduate and Postgraduate programmes across all years. The application process is incredibly competitive, but we encourage you to apply if this is a role which interests you.
It is worth noting that students should not rely on the Student Ambassador role as a regular source of income as the work is irregular and there is plenty of competition. Some Student Ambassador work has had to be stopped as there has been a reduction of events on campus.
As you can imagine, things will look a bit different for Student Ambassadors this academic year. Interested applicants will be asked to submit an application with questions regarding why you want to be a Student Ambassador. The application form will open in October 2020. Applications will be assessed by an expert panel and those who are successful will be invited to a virtual assessment day in November 2020.
Student Ambassadors are required to support various departments within the university by undertaking the following duties:
- Promoting Higher Education to prospective students through a variety of hands-on activities and interactions
- Acting as a role model and ambassador for Higher Education and St George’s, University of London, providing a student perspective on Higher Education to young people, potential applicants and their families
- Providing administrative support to departments within the university
- Assisting at events, such as open days and graduations
- Attending training and briefing sessions prior to the commencement of duties
- Any other responsibilities as agreed upon acceptance of roles
Student Ambassadors have a variety of different experiences, backgrounds and expertise. But here are some basic standards which we expect from all our Student Ambassadors.
- Be enthusiastic and positive about my experience at St George’s.
- Listen to other peoples’ perspectives and treat others fairly and honestly.
- Treat others with respect and dignity.
- Do my utmost to ensure that all participants are included and valued, without making assumptions about their background.
Want to find out more?
If you have any questions or queries regarding the Student Ambassador scheme, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.