Skip to content

You can apply for a Student Visa up to three months in advance of your course start date (or six months if you are applying outside the UK) and once you have received your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) statement from us. We recommend that you check the visa processing times and visa application centres in your country so that you can plan ahead.

You should wait until you have obtained your student visa before you book any non-refundable tickets for travel.

EU/EEA and Swiss Nationals

If you will be arriving in the UK to study after 31 December 2020 and not a returning UK resident, then you will need a visa to study in the UK. For a full-time programme, this would mean applying for a Student visa.

The application process is identical to non-EU/EEA/Swiss Nationals except that  you will be asked to verify your identity using a smartphone through the ‘UK Immigration: ID Check'’ app rather than attend a Visa Application Centre.  You will also receive digital proof of your immigration status rather than a physical Biometric Residence Permit.

The UK Home Office have published ‘An introduction for EU students’ and ‘Application guidance’ on the GOV.UK website. 

Tuberculosis (TB) testing for visa applicants

If you are coming to the UK to study for six months or more and live in a particular country then you will be required to undertake a TB test and submit the certificate with your student visa application. Please refer to GOV.UK for further information regarding TB testing and the list of countries which require a TB test to enter the UK.

Applying for a Student Visa

Download our Student Route Visa Guide 2022-2023 (PDF) for more details, including how to apply, information on credibility interviews, ATAS clearance, supporting documents and parental consent.


Find a profileSearch by A-Z