If you are an international student applying for a Student visa outside of the UK you will need to make your application from the country in which you normally live.
You can only make your Student visa application once you receive your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) statement from us.
Help with completing the application form
We have put together a guide to completing the Student visa application (PDF) which gives step-by-step instructions on how to complete the online application.
Making a Student visa application outside the UK
View all Close all
Receive your CAS statement from St George’s.
Take a TB test (if applicable).
- You need to:
- fill in the online application form
- have your documents ready
- pay the application fee
- pay the immigration health surcharge
- book an appointment to enrol your biometric information and have your supporting documents checked or use the 'UK Immigration: ID Check' app to scan your identity documents. You'll be told what you need to do when you apply.
- Many visa application centres will scan your supporting documents at your appointment and give these back to you on the day (but your passport may be retained).
- In some countries (for example, the USA) you will be required to mail your documents and include a prepaid electronic shipping label and envelope in the package.
- attend credibility interview if you are asked to do so
receive decision from UKVI and notify us
ensure the details on your visa (entry clearance) within your passport are correct
travel to the UK within the validity period of your entry clearance visa
collect your biometric residence permit (BRP) when you arrive in the UK
You may be asked to attend a credibility interview as part of the application process. The interview would be conducted by a member of UKVI’s staff who will be assessing whether you are a ‘genuine student’ and your English language ability is at the correct level. The questions will vary but may focus on your new course, any previous UK study, your immigration history, finances and career aspirations. If you are asked to attend a second interview, you must inform us before the interview takes place.
You can check the visa processing time in your country on GOV.UK.
The Student visa application fee is £348, paid as an equivalent in your local or alternative currency.
Many countries offer an optional priority visa service where you can pay an additional ‘priority fee’ of approximately £212 to have your application processed more quickly.
For more information, go to: