Skip to content

EU students starting a course in the UK from 1 January 2021

If you will be arriving in the UK to study after 31 December 2020 and not a returning UK resident, then you will need a visa to study in the UK. For a full-time programme, this would mean applying for a applying for a student visa and for courses less than 6 months would require a Standard Visitor visa

Irish citizens’ status continues to be protected as part of Common Travel Area arrangements therefore do not require permission to come to the UK (except in a very limited number of circumstances).

Please note, that new regulations came into force on 1 March 2021 amending the eligibility criteria for EU, other EEA and Swiss nationals for access to home fee status and student financial support for England from academic year 2021/22.  For more information on fee status, please refer to UKCISA - international student advice and guidance - England: fee status

Quick links for 2021-22 international applicants

  • Student route Visa guide 2021-22 (PDF) – contains essential information about the student visa process including how to apply, CAS and supporting documents.
  • Pre-departure guide 2021-22 (PDF) – contains practical pre-arrival and induction information (including Covid-19 advice) to help students plan their move to St George’s.
  • International support package 2021-22 – support on offer to assist incoming students in travelling to St George’s during these turbulent times.


Find a profileSearch by A-Z