Skip to content

At St George’s we recognise that studying in the UK can be both an exciting and daunting experience. The International Advising Team is here to support you throughout your studies and help you get the most out of student life.

We offer professional support and guidance on a wide range of issues including visas and immigration, life in the UK and working during and after your studies.

We also organise specific events for international students as part of the university’s welcome induction programme, and work with the Students’ Union’s International Student Society (ISS) to deliver a programme of trips and social events all year round to help you meet other students and make friends.

Please visit the pages in this section for details about how to apply for the appropriate visa and other important visa- and immigration-related information.

If you are unable to find the information that you need, please contact us. 

Contact us


Frequently asked questions

View all Close all
Do I need a visa?

You will usually need a visa to study in the UK if you are a national of a country outside the UK. If you are unsure then you can contact us or use the Check if you need a UK visa service on the GOV.UK websitefor more help.

What visa do I need?

The visa you will need to apply for depends on a number of factors including your nationality and the length of the course. 

Generally, if the course you are applying to is six months or less (for example, medical elective, summer school), you will need a  Standard Visitor Visa . Please contact us to request a visa letter to support your visa application.  More information, including how to apply and what supporting documents you need, can be found on the Standard Visitor Visa page.

If your course is longer than 6 months, you will need a Student Visa. More information about student visas can be found on the GOV.UK website and in our Student Route Visa Guide (PDF).

If you already hold a visa, please contact us to check if it permits study.

Where can I get help?

UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) are a division of the UK’s Home Office and are responsible for visa decisions.

There is a charge for contacting UKVI directly regarding your student visa application, so we strongly recommend you contact us so that we can do this on your behalf.


Find out more 


Find a profileSearch by A-Z