Skip to content

St George's warmly welcomes and supports students who are disabled or have a Specific Learning Difficulty (SpLD). Our advisors, based in the Student Life Centre, are here to support any student or potential student with a disability or specific needs.

The team includes a specialist tutor to support students with dyslexia and other SpLDs in developing their study skills.

View all Close all
Who is entitled to support?

Students with long-term health conditions, mental health conditions, physical or sensory impairments, autistic spectrum conditions and SpLDs are all entitled to support and are encouraged to contact the disability team.

When should I inform the university of my disability or specific learning difficulty?

Applicants are advised to declare any disability, SpLD or additional needs on their application form so that we have the earliest opportunity to advise you of the support available and put any arrangements into place for you.

You are very welcome to contact the disability service before or during the application process to discuss your support needs.  You can, however, access support from the disability service at any point in your studies.  We do advise you to get in touch as early as possible so that we are able to ensure your support arrangements are in place when you need them. 

For exam arrangements, we need to have any evidence to support your arrangements at least 6 weeks in advance of the exam to give us plenty of time to make the necessary arrangements.
What will I need to provide?

In order to access support from the disability service, you’ll need to provide one of the following:

For a disability or long term health condition (including mental health difficulties)

A copy of a recent medical letter or document from GP, consultant, or other medical professional, which details the impact of your disability/health condition on your studies. You will also need this evidence to apply for DSA (see below). f you don't have any appropriate evidence, you can ask your doctor to fill out the Disabled Students' Allowances Disability Evidence Form(PDF), which we can also accept. You will also need the same type of medical evidence if you are applying for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA).

For SpLD such as dyslexia, dyspraxia and ADHD

A copy of your most recent Educational Psychologists report diagnosing your SpLD.  You will need a post-16 full diagnostic report to apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA). However, if you don’t have one of these yet, please don’t worry as a diagnostic assessment can be arranged for you once you have enrolled at St George’s.

What sort of support is available?

Advice and guidance from a disability adviser on the support available to you is available for you from the first point of application throughout your university life. Support can include the following.

  • Reasonable adjustments to help you access the teaching, assessment and placement elements of your course.  Your individual reasonable adjustments will recorded on your Summary of Support Needs and shared with relevant departments once you have given your consent.

  • Examination arrangements such as additional time and rest breaks can be made for eligible students

  • We can provide support for your application for Disabled Student’s Allowances (DSA) process.

  • We will help you in setting up any one to one support such as tutoring, mentoring or other support workers.

  • If you need a post-16 diagnostic report, or if you would like to explore the possibility that you have a specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia then we have a screening process after which we will arrange for a diagnostic assessment if appropriate.

  • Various assistive technology is available to support you including Text Help Read and Write, Sonocent Audio Notetaker, as well as having Panopto lecture capture facilities.

  • If you have any specific accommodation needs relating to your disability we can potentially reserve you an appropriately adapted room in our halls of residence. You are encouraged to declare your disability in your accommodation application and to contact the disability service at the earliest opportunity to ensure we are able to prioritise your needs.

Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA)

Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA) is funding available to you through your funding body which provides support for you to enable you to access your course and to offset any disability related expenses.

Once your application has been accepted by your funding body you will be asked to attend a Needs Assessment. This is where you will have equipment and other support recommended for your individual needs.

Once you have had your needs assessment you will receive an entitlement letter stating who the providers of your support will be. You can then use these details to make the necessary arrangements. Support is available from the disability service at each stage of this process if required.


Find a profileSearch by A-Z