St George’s has committed to Disability Confident, a government scheme that helps employers recruit and retain people with disabilities and have fair and inclusive recruitment practices.
There are three levels of award in the scheme and organisations are required to demonstrate what they are already doing and what additional steps they need to take to successfully recruit and retain staff with disabilities. We achieved the Level 2:Employer award in December 2018, which means we are a Disability Confident Employer. We renewed this award in 2021.
The core actions we have committed to as part of Level 2 are split into two themes:
View all Close all
- Actively looking to attract and recruit disabled people.
- Providing a fully inclusive and accessible recruitment process.
- Offering an interview to disabled people who meet the minimum criteria for the job.
- Flexibility when assessing people so disabled job applicants have the best opportunity to demonstrate that they can do the job.
- Proactively offering and making reasonable adjustments as required.
- Encouraging our suppliers and partner firms to be Disability Confident.
- Ensuring employees have appropriate disability equality awareness.
- Providing work experience, work trials, paid employment, apprenticeships, traineeships, paid internships or supported internships.
- Promoting a culture of being Disability Confident.
- Supporting employees to manage their disabilities or health conditions.
- Ensuring there are no barriers to the development and progression of disabled staff.
- Ensuring managers are aware of how they can support staff who are sick or absent from work.
- Valuing and listening to feedback from disabled staff.
- Reviewing this Disability Confident self-assessment regularly.
See Level 2: Disability Confident Employer for more information.
For support and information on various disability issues, please visit the Disability Rights UK website.