Skip to content

A Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) is proof of your right to study in the UK.  It is a standard credit card size containing a chip to make it more secure against forgery and abuse.  It includes various items of information such as personal details, biometric information, immigration status and any conditions/restrictions of stay.

We recommend that you keep a photocopy of both the front and back of your Biometric Residence Permit in case it is lost, stolen or damaged.

View all Close all
Will I be issued a BRP?

You will be issued with a BRP automatically if you are a non-EEA or Swiss national and your visa application is approved; EEA and Swiss Nationals will receive digital proof of their right to study in the UK.  

A BRP will not be issued if your course is for less than six months.  In this situation, your entry clearance visa will be valid for your whole stay in the UK.
Where can I collect my BRP?

If your immigration application was made from outside the UK, you will be required to collect your BRP once you have entered the UK.  You must do this before the entry clearance visa in your passport expires or within 10 days of arriving in the UK, whichever is later.  Details of where to collect your BRP will be provided in your decision letter.  Failure to collect your BRP may result in a fine of up to £1000.

If your immigration application was made from inside the UK, your BRP should be received within 7 to 10 days from the receipt of your decision letter.  Your BRP will be sent by courier to the address provided as part of your application.  If your application is approved and your BRP does not arrive you can report this online.
Collecting your BRP from St George’s

This option is available if you make your Student visa application from outside the UK.  In order to do this, you will need to enter our alternative collection code (ACL) on your Student visa application form.  We will provide the ACL code with your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS).

You have to collect your BRP from the university within 10 days of arriving in the UK or at enrolment. You will need to bring your passport and the decision email from UKVI as proof of identity.

Collecting your BRP at a Post Office
If you do not enter our ACL code, the form will ask you to input the UK postcode of the address you will be living when you come to the UK. Your decision letter will confirm the address of the Post Office where you need to collect your BRP. This will be a Post Office close to where you will be living.
Do I need my BRP to travel?
 You will need to travel with your BRP as this must be shown at the UK border alongside your passport or travel document when travelling outside of the UK or returning to the UK.
What if a BRP is lost, stolen or damaged?

If your BRP is lost, damaged or stolen, you must report this as soon as possible to the Home Office. The Home Office will contact you within 1 working day of reporting it. Failing to report a lost, stolen or damaged BRP may result in a financial penalty of up to £1000. 

If you are inside the UK and your BRP is lost, damaged or stolen, you should report it and order a replacement BRP if your BRP was valid for more than 3 months.   If your BRP was valid for less than 3 months then you do not need to order a replacement, but should you still report it being lost, stolen or damaged.

If your Biometric Residence Permit is lost, stolen or damaged whilst outside the UK, you should report it.You will not be able to order a replacement BRP.  You should instead apply for a replacement BRP visa which is a single entry visa which you can use to return to the UK. Once you return to the UK you will then be able to apply for a replacement BRP. This application must be made within 1 month of your return to the UK.

Biometric Residence Permits and change of circumstances

If any of the details on your Biometric Residence Permit change, you must report the change of circumstances to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) .

If you have a valid BRP and have changed your address, you can report this without having to apply for a new Biometric Residence Permit using the paper formor applying online.

If you have changed your name (including after marriage), nationality, facial appearance, date of birth or gender then you must report the change and apply for a new Biometric Residence Permit straight away.


Find a profileSearch by A-Z