Skip to content

As a student visa holder, you must remember that you have certain responsibilities to us (your Student Sponsor) and UKVI regarding your attendance and other activities that you can do in the UK, such as not working in excess of your restricted hours.

Failure to comply with the conditions of your leave may put your immigration status and the university’s student sponsor status at risk and you may not be able to complete your course as planned.

Please see below for a summary of the responsibilities that you have.

View all Close all
Your responsibilities
  • Provide the university with a copy of your up-to-date passport and visa or biometric residence permit (BRP) and informing the university of any changes.

  • Keep the university informed of your up-to-date UK contact details (ie address and telephone numbers). You must notify the university and UKVI if you change your address.

  • Ensure you register for your programme on time each academic year. If you anticipate you will be late for registration (for example, due to flight or visa delay) you must contact your course team as soon as possible to discuss any course implications.

  • Attend all lectures and classes and complete all academic requirements for the course including coursework and assessments. Your attendance will be monitored by your course team and the International Advising Team. You must immediately inform your programme team of any temporary absence, for example, due to illness.

  • Inform the university if you intend to interrupt your studies (ie take leave of absence) or withdraw from your programme. Discuss visa implications with the International Advising Team.  You must leave the UK as soon as possible as the university will be obliged to withdraw sponsorship.

  • Inform UKVI of relevant changes during your stay. This includes changes to your contact details, personal details, dependants’ details, any criminal convictions.

  • Comply with the conditions of your visa. For example, observe the restrictions on your right to work, do not access public funds, register with the police.

  • Keep your immigration permission up to date and apply for a visa extension before your existing visa runs out.

  • Promptly respond to email correspondence from the International Advising Team, for example about your visa, registration or attendance, to ensure that you are not unnecessarily reported to UKVI.


The university’s Student Sponsor licence responsibilities

In order to retain its Student Sponsor Licence, the university has various responsibilities to ensure compliance with student immigration legislation.

Please see below for a summary of the responsibilities that we have.

View all Close all
Our responsibilities
  • Only issue a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) for visa purposes where:

    • we are satisfied that the student both intends and is able to follow the intended programme

    • we believe the student will meet the requirements of the student visa and is likely to comply with immigration conditions.

  • Take and keep copies of students’ up-to-date passports, immigration status documents, visas or biometric residence permits.

  • Keep an up-to-date record of student contact details.

  • Hold a copy of a student’s Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) clearance certificate where required by the student’s programme of study or research.

  • Check that students have registered as required and report those students who fail to register on time to UKVI.

  • Monitor each student’s attendance and notify UKVI when a student is no longer studying, whether this is an unauthorised absence or withdrawal of studies.

  • Report interruptions, withdrawals and terminations of study to UKVI.

  • Notify UKVI of any significant change of circumstances with your studies, for example if you intercalate, undertake a professional training year or complete earlier than the course end date given in your CAS.

  • Notify UKVI of any information which suggests a sponsored student is breaching the conditions of his/her immigration permission (for example, working over the permitted allowance).


Find a profileSearch by A-Z