Skip to content

All external engagement requires a contract of some kind to outline the responsibility of the contracting parties. This ensures that obligations are clear and understood by all, that the risks to St George’s are minimised and – in the unlikely event that problems emerge – to give a framework to resolve issues and to give St George’s legal protection.

We have outlined the types of contracts you may need when working with external parties in respect of research.

All research contracts need to be signed by JRES; individual principal investigators do not have authority to sign research contracts on behalf of St George’s, University of London or St George’s University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.

Types of contracts

View all Close all
Confidentiality agreement
Also known as a confidential disclosure agreement (CDA) or non-disclosure agreement (NDA). Protects information from unwanted disclosure. It can be either one-way (only one party discloses confidential information) or mutual (both parties disclose confidential information).
Commercially-funded research agreement
Research contracts with commercial parties should be negotiated by the enterprise team and agree the terms for intellectual property (IP)and value of works in accordance with the market or commercial benefits.
Grant agreement
Contract coming from the funder when a grant application has been awarded.
Collaboration agreement
An agreement with academia and/or industry to provide the terms and conditions of award.
When an external party, not part of a collaboration agreement, will be paid to perform a service delegated in the collaboration/funding agreement.
Data sharing
When data is sent to or coming from an external party.
Material transfer agreement in
When material (clinical or not) is coming to us from an external party.
Material transfer agreement out
When material (clinical or not) is sent out to an external party.


Find a profileSearch by A-Z