Skip to content

UK Research and Innovation (UKRI, formerly Research Councils UK or RCUK) have an open access policy and makes somefunds available to pay open access publication charges.

Applying for funds for open access publication fees

The form below can be used by authors with manuscripts that acknowledge UKRI funders original research grants to apply for funding to cover open access publication fees for peer reviewed research articles  and conference proceedings.

Eligible SGUL researchers can also take advantage of several ‘read and publish’ deals, which means SGUL corresponding authors can publish open access at no extra charge with some publishers (such as CUP, OUP, Springer, Wiley). Please see our Paying Open Access Fees web page for more information on the journals included.

Applications must be submitted before a manuscript is submitted to a publisher.

Please first read the Guidance for Authors: Request for funds to cover Open Access and publication charges for manuscripts (PDF, St George's, University of London login required)

Then complete the St George’s Open Access Fund application form (Word, St George's, University of London login required)

Please send a copy of the completed form to openaccess or let us know if you have any queries.


Frequently asked questions

View all Close all
1. What is the current UKRI (formerly RCUK) open access policy and what types of publications does it apply to?

The current UKRI (formerly RCUK) open access policy aims to achieve immediate, unrestricted, online access to peer-reviewed and published research papers, free of any access charge.
The policy applies to the publication of peer-reviewed research articles (including review
articles not commissioned by publishers) and conference proceedings that acknowledge funding from UK Research and Innovation Research Councils. A new open access policy has been announced (August 2021). This will come into effect for peer-reviewed research articles in 2022, and for mongraphs in 2024. This page will be updated with further information soon.

2. What is required by the current policy?

Where an article processing change is paid to make an article open access, UKRI expects the article upon publication to be: 1) available immediately and with unrestricted access on the publisher website, and 2) to be made available with a CC-BY licence, allowing immediate deposit in other repositories without restrictions on re-use.

Where no article processing change is paid, UKRI expects the journal to consent to the deposit of the author accepted manuscript in any repository without restriction on non-commercial re-use and within a defined period – see point 3.

In addition, if the research is funded by the Medical Research Council (MRC) or the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC), in order to be compliant, the paper must be archived in Europe PubMed Central. This may be done automatically by the publishers if an article processing change is paid, but can also be done by the author via Europe PMC Plus.

Timing of submission

The policy to make papers available on open access applies to papers that were submitted for publication (but not necessarily accepted) after 1 April 2013. Both the funder and the grant should be acknowledged.

For the duration of the policy, the block grant can to be used for reimbursement of article processing charges for papers submitted for publication before April 2013, but only where costs for the charges were not included in the grant. See UKRI (formerly RCUK) FAQs (PDF).
3. Can I go via the green route rather than gold for papers arising from UKRI (formerly RCUK) funding?

RCUK (now UKRI) has a preference for immediate, unrestricted open access (gold) (see UKRI (formerly RCUK) FAQs PDF) 2.1 and has an expectation that the majority of the open access block grant funding it provides will be used to support the payment of article processing changes for gold open access. Articles must be licenced under the CC-BY licence.

UKRI no longer considers a final accepted manuscript deposited in a repository (green open access) to be compliant with their mandate if the publisher stipulates a CC-BY-NC-ND licence (see UKRI (formerly RCUK) FAQs6.2.ii PDF). CC-BY-NC licence, or equivalent, is acceptable. One such publisher that stipulates CC-BY-NC-ND licence on the final accepted manuscript is Elsevier. If you are publishing in an Elsevier journal, for example any of the Lancet titles, and acknowledging an RCUK (now UKRI) funder in your paper, please email the open access team for further guidance. There are funds to pay for open access charges where immediate publication under CC-BY is an available option.


4. How long an embargo is acceptable?

In STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) disciplines, UKRI will accept a delay of no more than six months between online publication and the final authors’ accepted version of the manuscript becoming open access. In the case of papers in the arts, humanities and social sciences (which will mainly be funded by the Arts and Humanities Research Council, AHRC, and the Economic and Social Research Council, ESRC), the maximum embargo period will be 12 months.

Where funding for article processing changes is unavailable to an author, during the transition period, longer embargo periods will be allowable (see UKRI (formerly RCUK) FAQs PDF) 2.2:

  • 12 months for STEM
  • 24 months for AHRC and the ESRC.

However, all research papers in biomedicine must be published open access immediately, OR with an embargo of no longer than six months (as has been the Medical Research Council (MRC) policy since 2006).

In circumstances where research is funded by more than one funder, including multiple research councils, the shortest embargo period will apply (see UKRI (formerly RCUK) FAQs PDF) 5.
5. What kind of publisher licence is not compliant?

Where you are depositing a copy of your final accepted manuscript in a repository such as EPMC in order to comply with the RCUK (now UKRI) policy, the licence should allow for the sharing of adaptations of the material. This means a CC-BY-NC licence, or equivalent, is acceptable. A CC-BY-NC-ND licence is not compliant. CC-BY-NC-ND is the licence required by Elsevier journals, so this means that Elsevier journals are not compliant with RCUK (now UKRI) open access policy via the green route.

Where a fee is paid for immediate open access of the final publisher version of record, the CC-BY licence must be selected.

For more information, please see FAQ number 6 in the UKRI (formerly RCUK) policy on open access FAQs (PDF) and Creative Commons about the licenses.

Please email the open access team if you have any questions on the licences available from your journal.
6. Where can I get help regarding the current UKRI (formerly RCUK) requirements?

If you are unsure the journal has an open access option compliant with your  UKRI (formerly RCUK) funder requirements, please check SHERPA FACT and/or email the open access team.

7. If the published article does not meet the UKRI (formerly RCUK) open access requirements, will any sanctions apply?

The UKRI (formerly RCUK) is monitoring compliance, and institutions in receipt of UKRI funding are required to report UKRI (formerly RCUK) Open Access reporting information. The sanctions set out in the FAQs are that non-compliant research papers will not count towards the institution’s compliance target for open access. See  UKRI (formerly RCUK) FAQs (PDF) 2.2 & 2.3.


8. What funds are available to pay for open access article processing charges?

UKRI (formerly RCUK) has made available to St George’s an annual block grant to use towards payment of open access article processing charges (APCs) for research papers arising from research they have funded.

Please be aware that while payment of an open access publication charge may be possible, if there is a 'no fee' way of making your paper open access, this may be suggested rather than a paid route. So please be sure to get in touch before submission if you think open access publication fees may be incurred.

See Open Access Publishing FAQs page

9. Who can ask for payment of open access article processing charges from the St George’s UKRI (formerly RCUK) block grant?

The author requesting reimbursement of the open access fee is to demonstrate that they are either the principal investigator or the corresponding author, and supply the grant reference number.

If the research grant was awarded before 1 April 2013 and funds were specified in the grant to cover publication costs, this should be used before using the UKRI (formerly RCUK) block grant.

The open access block funding provided to St George’s is to cover access publishing costs for UKRI (formerly RCUK) funded research from 1 April 2013.
10. How do I ask for payment of open access article processing charges from the St George’s UKRI (formerly RCUK) block grant?

These funds can be accessed by researchers at St George's. The specific conditions of the funder with regards to open access publication need to be met in order for St George's to use these funds to reimburse the article processing charges (APC).
The principal investigator or grant holder at St George's will need to complete the open access claim form available at the top of this page.

Please send the completed form and the publication to

If you have any queries, please contact your funder or email the open access team.
11. What if the research is funded by more than one funder?

If the article has arisen from research funded by more than one funder, where the block grant is available the cost of making the paper available on open access should be split proportionally.

Please indicate this on the open access claim form. The most restrictive publication terms of the funders should be complied with, as to not do so would make the publication non-compliant with that funder. Please get in touch with the funders or email the open access team if you require further guidance.
12. Does the UKRI (formerly RCUK) block grant cover page charges and colour plate charges?
Page charges may be paid under certain circumstances. Colour publication charges will not usually be funded. Please email the open access team prior to submission if these may be incured.


For all enquiries about open access, email the open access team.
For all enquiries about the CRIS and SORA, email the CRIS/SORA team.


Find a profileSearch by A-Z