Prepare for the Meeting
To use the transcription tool in the interview you must schedule a meeting first using the Teams calendar.
When you agree the meeting time with the participant you can schedule the meeting using your sgul email address ahead of the meeting and retrieve the link to send before the meeting is begins.
Or you can schedule the meeting before the meeting date and email the link to the participant just before the agreed meeting time.
Note: Transcription will not work in Channel or Meet now meetings.
Schedule the Interview
- Click Calendar on the navigation bar on the left.
- Then click New Meeting on the top right side of the screen. Figure 9.
Microsoft Teams facilitates group work so you can hold discussions with group members from anywhere on any device for meetings, brainstorming and collaboration.
3. Click in Add title box and give the meeting a name.
4. Enter your St.George’s email address, in the Add required attendees box. It will allow you to save the meeting.
5. Set the date and time for the meeting.
6. Add a message about the meeting.
7. Click Send. The meeting will be saved on your Teams and Outlook calendar.
Set Meeting Options
1. Go to your Calendar in Teams,.you will see the scheduled meeting. Open, to edit.
2. Select Meeting Options. Shown below.
3. You will be taken to a web page and you may have to enter your St. George’s username and password.
4. Set the Meeting Options as shown below.
5. Then click Save.
6. Click Close, top left to close the meeting screen.
Before the Meeting (emailing the link)
1. Go to calendar in Teams click on the scheduled meeting. Click on Edit.
2. Scroll down until you see the link to the meeting. Shown below.
3. Right click on “Click here to join meeting” select Copy link.
4. Open your email and paste the link in a new message to the participant.
5. Add the participant’s email address with a message and click send.
1. Go to Calendar and click on the pre-scheduled meeting. Click Join.
2. The meeting Audio window will appear. See below, you can:
1. Give the meeting a name
2. Turn off your camera
3. Turn on Computer audio and microphone
3. When you have set the above settings, click on Join now.
You will be taken to the meeting room and wait until the participant asked to be admitted from the lobby.
Note: When the participant clicks the URL, it will take them to the lobby they will wait there until you allow them into the meeting.
4. You will see an alert that the participant is waiting in the lobby.
5. Click Admit to let them into the meeting.
6. When the participant enters the meeting, they will appear on the right in the Participants pane.
During the Meeting
1. Turn on Transcription. Click on More Actions (…) on the Meeting controls.
2. Select Start transcriptions from the menu. This will let you know and the participant that transcription has started. You can stop and start the transcription recording during the meeting.
3. If you want to close the transcription pane. Click on the X at the top right of the Transcript pane to close.
4. To Stop Transcriptionrecording. Click on More Actions (…) on the Meeting control. Select Stop transcriptions from the menu. You and the participant will be notified that transcription has stopped.
1. On the meeting controls, click on the arrow next to Leave, click End meeting, then End.
2. You will be taken back to the Microsoft Teams screen.
1. Click on Chat on the Navigation bar .
2. In the chat list you will see the name of the meeting. Click on the name.
3. The meeting attendance and transcript will appear in the pane. Giving an Attendance report and Meeting Transcript.
4. Click on Meeting transcript. You will be taken to another screen.
5. Select Download. Then select the format you want to download your transcription in.
The document will download to your Downloads folder on your PC or laptop.
6. Go to your Downloads folder and move the Transcription to secure storage. Then delete the file from the Downloads folder.
When you are satisfied with your transcript you can delete the meeting from your calendar. This will also delete the transcript and attendance lists. They will still appear in the chat area but access to the transcript and attendance lists will no longer be available.
To Delete Meeting
1. Open the scheduled meeting on the Teams calendar.
2. In the Meeting details screen, click Cancel Meeting top left.
3. Then Cancel Meeting again.
The steps below provide information on using Microsoft Teams and Microsoft Stream to record and transcribe research interviews.
The recordings are stored on Microsoft Stream which is part of Office 365 provided by St. George’s. All meetings that are recorded are automatically transcribed in Microsoft Stream.
The recording and transcript, can be downloaded from Stream to secure storage.
Create your Team
1. Click Teams on the Navigation bar. If you have been added to a Team you will see them in this window.
2. Click the Join or create a team button at the bottom left or top right of the screen.
3. Click Create a team button.
4. Choose the Other team type to create your team.
5. In the Create your team window. Enter a name for your team, for example Interview 1, then click the Next button.
Note: Leave the Privacy option set to Private - Only team members can add members.
Add Team Members
You can skip this step by selecting “Skip.” You can add the students after the team have been created. Refer to Add Students.
1. Add students by typing their name or SGUL email address, a dropdown list of names matching your spelling will appear. Select the name from the list or enter the full email address.
2. Click the Add button to add them to the team. Leave them as Members.
3. Then click Close.
The team is created and opens in the “General” channel. See below.
1. To add students, click on the ellipses (...), More options next to your Team name.
2. Select Add member from the dropdown menu.
3. You add students by typing their name or sgul email address. A list of people will appear. If they appear in the list, select the name from the list or enter the full email address.
4. After adding the students. Click the Add button to add them to the team. Leave them as Members.
5. Then, click Close.
The students are added to the team and are now ready to conduct their interviews.
When you are added to a Team you will receive an email telling you have been added to a Team. Make sure you accepted the email sent to you, this is the only way you can access the Team and arrange the interviews in Channels
Prepare for the interview
- Make sure you have the email address for the interview participant.
- Open the Teams app on your PC/laptop.
- Click the Teams button on the Navigation bar, left of the screen.
- Select the Team you were assigned to carry out your research interviews.
Add Meeting Channel
It is recommended to use one Teams channel for each interview.
1. Select the ellipses (...), More options next to your Team name.
2. Select Add channel from the dropdown menu.
3. In the dialog box give the channel a name. Then click the Add button.
4. The new channel name will appear in the Team under the General channel.
1. Select the channel you just created, under the Team’s name.
2. In the middle of the screen will be text: “Let's get the conversation started.” At the top right of the screen click Meet.
3. The meeting dialog box will appear. In this you can:
- Give the meeting a name
- Turn off your camera
- Turn on your microphone
4. When you have set the above settings, click on Join now.
You now will be shown the Invite people to join dialog box. See below.
5. Click on Copy meeting link and paste the URL you copied in an email to the participant. Or click on Share via default email if you have Outlook on your PC/Laptop.
6. Wait for the participant to use the URL to join the meeting.
Note: When the participant clicks the URL, it will take them to the lobby. They will wait until you allow them into the meeting.
7. You will see an alert that the participant is waiting in the lobby.
8. Click Admit to let them into the meeting. Or open the participant pane from the meeting control bar and select the tick next to their name to allow them into the meeting.
9. When the participant enters the meeting, their name or initials will appear in the middle of the screen.
In the Meeting
1. Before the interview begins turn on the Recording. Click on More Actions the three dots (…) on the Meeting control bar.
2. Select Start recording from the menu. This will let you know and the participant that recording has started. You can also select the Turn on live captions to see automated live text of your interview audio.
3. When the interview has finished Click on More Actions (… three dots) on the Meeting control bar and click Stop recording.
4. Select the arrow next to Leave on the meeting control bar and click End meeting.
Note: We recommend that if your interview runs for more than one hour, split the recording into two or more parts.
To do this:
1. Select Stop recording Do not hang up.
2. After a short pause, select Start recording to continue the interview.
The interview will appear in the channel and there will be two or more recordings listed in the channel post/chat. These will open two or more pages on Microsoft Stream.
Download Recording to Microsoft Stream
To access the transcription from the interview, you will need to download the video recording to Stream. The transcription is automatically generated then you can move the transcription to a secure place.
Note: Depending on the length of your recording/s it may take some time to process and appear in the chat area of the channel.
1. A link to the recording will appear in the Post/Chat area in the channel you are in.
2. Click the three dots (…) More options top right of the interview recording in the Post/chat area.
3. Click Open in Microsoft Stream This will open the Microsoft Stream web app in your browser and the video will appear.
The recording will download in mp4 format to Microsoft Stream.
Download the Transcription
You are now in Microsoft Stream. The steps to transcribe, move and delete the recording will take place in Microsoft Stream and not in Teams.
The video will appear and underneath to the left you will see the date, name and who recorded the meeting. The transcription will appear to the right of the video.
The transcription will automatically appear. if you don’t see the transcript reload the page.
4. Click on the three dots (…) More option, just below the video.
5. Select Update Video Details.
6. On the Options section to the right, select Download file to the right of Captions.
7. The File will download in a VTT file format to your Downloads folder.
Note: A VTT file is a text file saved in a Web Video Text Tracks (WebVTT) format. It holds information about a web recorded video: subtitles, captions, descriptions, chapters and metadata.
8. Go to your Downloads folder. Double click on the file to open, it will open in the web browser.
Copy Text to a Microsoft Word Document Optional
- To select all the text, hold down the Ctrl key and tap letter A. All the text will be selected.
- Hold down the Ctrl key and tap letter C, to copy all the selected text.
- Open a blank document in Microsoft Word.
- Hold down the Ctrl key and tap letter V, to paste all the selected text.
- If needed, edit the document, then Save the file to a secure place.
1. In Microsoft Stream with your video selected. Click on the three dots (…) . Select Delete and confirm.
This will move the video to the Recycle bin. There the video stays 30 days before deletion.
Remove video from recycle bin
1. Click My content from the horizontal panel at the top of the screen and select Recycle bin.
2. In the recycle bin search for your video and in the Actions column, Click the trash can icon to delete the video.