Skip to content

The university offers a number of short courses that are less than six months long, like our summer school or medical elective placements. For some of these courses, you will not need to apply for a Tier 4 student visa. Instead, you can apply for a short-term study visa. The benefits of applying for a short-term study visa are that it costs considerably less money and the application is usually processed more quickly.

You will need a letter to support entry to the UK as a short-term student. This letter is prepared by the International Advising Team. You will also need to provide other documents, such as your qualifications and financial evidence that you can support yourself in the UK for the duration of your studies.

How to apply

Whether you need to apply for this visa in advance, prior to travelling to the UK, or whether you can request entry as a short-term student at immigration control on arrival in the UK depends on your nationality.

We have prepared a guide to short-term study visas (PDF) to assist you with your application.

If you have any questions regarding your application, please contact the International Advising Team.

Medical insurance

As your course is less than six months long, you are only entitled to limited free NHS treatment. You will have free emergency hospital treatment, but only the treatment given in a NHS Accident and Emergency department is free of charge. Once you are admitted on to a ward or given an outpatient appointment, charges will apply.

You will have to pay for any other treatment as a private patient. It is therefore very important that you take out medical insurance for the duration of your visit to the UK.

When you arrive

The university is required to verify the immigration status of students before allowing them to begin their studies, and to check the relevant original documents and retain copies in accordance with UKVI requirements. The International Advising Team will need to see your passport and ensure that you have the correct immigration status before you may start your course. If you arrive with a visitor visa (or entry stamp) or without the correct immigration status for study purposes, you may not be permitted to start your study.

You can find more information about the short-term study visa on the GOV.UK website and the UK Council of International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website.


Find a profileSearch by A-Z