Skip to content

Finance is the main reason cited for Tier 4 (General) visa refusals. For example, financial documents are not in the exact format or the correct level of funds have not been held for the necessary period of time. In most cases, we will review financial documents prior to issuing a CAS statement. It is important you only submit the documents we have reviewed, to avoid a potential refusal.

If you are a ‘low-risk’ national, you should obtain the evidence of your money in the correct format, but you do not need to include it with your initial application. (See below for further details). All other applicants must include this evidence with their application.

We have summarised the main points below, but please refer to our guide to Tier 4 (PDF) for more detailed information. Useful advice about financial requirements can also be found at the website of the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA)

Financial requirements: essentials

View all Close all
How much money do I need to have?

You will need to show that you enough funds to cover both your tuition fees and living costs:

  1. Tuition fees for the first academic year of your course, or the whole course if it is less than a year.

  2. A set amount of money to cover your living costs. For courses that are nine months or more, you must show that you have £11,385 for living costs. For courses that are less than nine months long you must show that you have £1,265 per month for each month of your course. If you are applying for the Doctorate Extension Scheme, you need to show £2,530 in total.

Advance payments

Any money that you have already paid to the university towards your tuition fees will be listed on your CAS. This amount of money can be deducted from the total amount that you need to show.

Any money that you have already paid towards university accommodation (Horton Halls) will also be listed on the CAS. This can also be deducted from the total amount but only up to a maximum of £1,265. You cannot deduct money paid towards any other type of housing (for example, private accommodation) nor can you adjust the amount you must show because you will be living with a relative.

Please contact us if any advance payments are not included on your CAS. You must not submit your visa application until these details have been amended.

What is acceptable as proof of funds
  • Bank statement or bank letter showing cash funds in a bank account in your name, or your parents’ or legal guardians’ name. It must show the money has been in the account for at least 28 days and the statement/letter you provide must be no more than one month old at the point of application.

  • If relying on your parents’ bank statements, you will also need to provide your original birth certificate showing your parents’ name and a letter from your parents confirming their relationship to you and that they consent to you using their funds to study in the UK.Extra conditions apply if you are relying on money held by your legal guardian.

  • A loan letter from a regulated financial institution (this includes government, academic and educational loan schemes).

  • A letter from an official financial sponsor.

  • Certificate of deposit.

If money is in another currency to UK pound sterling (£), you need to check that your funds covert to the amount required in UK currency. You should use the OANDA currency converter as this is used by UKVI. 

Low-risk applicants

Some Tier 4 applicants do not need to provide evidence of their qualifications or their money with their application. UKVI calls this the ‘differentiation arrangement’ for ‘low-risk applicants’.

You are a low-risk applicant if you apply for Tier 4 (General) visa (from inside or outside the UK) to study at St George’s and you have a passport issued by one of the countries or territories listed in Appendix H of the Immigration Rules

Please note it is very important that as a low-risk applicant you still obtain the evidence of your qualifications and your money in the correct format, even though you do not need to send them. This is because UKVI can request this evidence as part of its decision-making process and will refuse your application if you are unable to provide it by the given deadline. It is important that you inform us if you are asked to submit documents after you have paid your visa application fee.



Find a profileSearch by A-Z