Skip to content

EEA nationals and their eligible family members can still come to the UK (without requiring a visa) until the end of the transitional/implementation period after Brexit (currently 30 June 2021). If they wish to continue to live and work in the UK beyond 30 June 2021, they can apply for immigration permission under a scheme designed by the UK government known as the EU Settlement Scheme.

This means that if you are a current student studying at St George’s, and you intend to remain in the UK after 30 June 2021, or, if you are undecided but want to keep your options open, then you will have between now and 30 June 2021 to make this application.

EU Settlement Scheme essentials

View all Close all
Key points
  • The EU Settlement Scheme is open. There is no application fee.

  • You'll have until 30 June 2021 to apply, provided you are resident in the UK by 31 December 2020. Your rights will remain unchanged until then.

  • Subject to the application checks, if you have been a resident in the UK for more than five years you will be eligible for settled status. If you have been a resident for less than five years you are eligible for pre-settled status. If you have pre-settled status, you can apply for settled status once you have met the five-year continuous residence period.

  • Family members do not need to be from the EU; they can come from anywhere in the world (referred to as non-EU citizen family members).

  • Those arriving from 1 January 2021 will not be eligible. They need to apply for immigration permission under a category of the immigration rules which are in place at that time.

If an agreement between the UK and the EU is not reached, the settlement scheme will still operate but you will need to be living in the UK before it leaves the EU to apply. The deadline for applying will be 31 December 2020. There will be separate provisions for those coming to the UK after Brexit.

Fee status and student finance

The Department for Education has confirmed EU nationals (and their family members) who start a course in England in the 2019/20 academic year or before will continue to be eligible for ‘home fee’ status and student finance support from Student Finance England for the duration of their course, provided they meet the residency requirement, even in a ‘no deal’ scenario.

There has, as yet, been no decision on either fee status or student support for those planning to arrive in the UK to study in the 2020/21 academic year.
How to apply

Applicants will need to complete a short and simple online application using a computer, tablet or mobile (Android) phone. They will be asked to:

  • verify their identity and nationality

  • demonstrate their UK residency (eg student status letter)

  • declare any criminal convictions

When you have been granted the status, you will not be issued a physical document. You will receive a letter confirming the outcome of your application and information on how the status can be verified online. Your status will be attached to the passport you use in your application, so if you get a new passport you will need to log in to your online account to update your details.

For more information

Contact the university's International Advising Team for more guidance on the EU Settlement Scheme, including if ‘no deal’.

You are advised to read the information on the EU Settlement Scheme on the GOV.UK website.

The UK Council of International Student Affairs (UKCISA) has information for students on the EU Settlement Scheme. 

You can also ask a question directly to the Home Office by calling their EU Settlement Scheme Resolution Centre


Find a profileSearch by A-Z