Skip to content

If you are coming to the UK for more than six months, you may be required to register with the police. Failure to register with the police may result in a fine of up to £5000 and/or imprisonment for six months.

The requirement to register is based on your nationality and should be printed on one of the following documents:

  • your entry clearance visa

  • your biometric residence permit (BRP)

  • the email confirmation from UKVI that your visa application was successful.

Police registration essentials

View all Close all
How and when to register

If this is your first registration with the police in the UK, you will need to visit the Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO), submit the required documents and pay the £34 registration fee within seven days of arrival in the UK. During busy periods, you will be given an admission slip with an appointment date and time, which you must attend.

When you register, you will be issued with a police registration certificate (PRC) which proves you have complied with the requirement of your visa. Please keep this in a safe place with your passport, BRP and travel documents.

If you have previously registered with the police in the UK but weren’t based in London, you must visit the OVRO to have your current PRC updated.

For more details about the OVRO including who needs to register, how to register, what to bring with you, opening times and location, please visit the OVRO website.

Interim police registration process at enrolment

If you start in September, you will be invited to take part in the interim process rather than registering yourself. This is an arrangement between the university and the OVRO and allows you to begin the registration process at university during enrolment and exempts you from the requirement to register within seven days of your arrival in the UK.

The process is very simple.

  1. Get a registration form from the enrolment staff during your enrolment.

  2. Return the complete form to the Student Centre, together with one UK passport-sized photo (45mm x 35mm), your passport and visa.

  3. We’ll copy the relevant documents and give you an official receipt letter.

  4. We’ll deliver your original application and copies of your passport and visa to the OVRO.

  5. We’ll inform you when you need to visit the OVRO to collect your police registration certificate. You must take your receipt letter, your registration fee, passport and visa to the appointment. 

Keeping your police registration certificate up to date

You must report any of the following changes to the OVRO* within seven working days or you risk a fine of up to £5,000 and it may affect any future visa applications:

  • change of address*

  • change of university

  • change of marital status

  • new entry visa granting an extension of stay

  • extension of stay granted in the UK

  • you are issued with a new passport

  • you have a child born in the UK.

*Any change of residential address MUST be reported to a local police station and not the OVRO within seven days of the change.

You do not need to pay each time to update your certificate, although you will need to pay for a replacement if you lose or damage your certificate, or if it is stolen. You will need to pay again if you have been absent from the UK for over 12 months.



Find a profileSearch by A-Z