Skip to content

If you are coming to the end of your studies, you might be considering the possibility of staying on in the UK to work under a different immigration route.

There are various options to remain in the UK, which are summarised in the sections below. The details of the schemes change frequently, and this section does not provide a list of all schemes.

Full details of all the options that could be available to you can be found on the GOV.UK website. The UK Council of International Student Affairs (UKCISA) also has information for students on working after studies


  • The immigration rules for the schemes differ, so you might have to return to your home country to apply for your visa from there.

  • For many of the schemes, you may be required to have completed your course before applying for your visa.

  • To protect your immigration status, if you are applying in the UK you must make your application before your current immigration permission to be here as a student expires.

  • If you have been sponsored by a government or international scholarship agency for your studies, most of the schemes require that you obtain their written consent before you apply.

  • You may have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application.

Please contact the university's International Advising Team if you have any questions on these options.

Explore your options



Find a profileSearch by A-Z