Skip to content

Read through our frequently asked questions for more information about accommodation at St George's. If your query isn't answered below, please contact the accommodation team.

View all Close all
When can I make my application for Halls?

You can apply for Halls if St George’s is your Firm choice. If you apply before the 1 July we guarantee accommodation in our Halls for all new first-year undergraduate, postgraduate and international students. If St George’s is your Insurance or Clearing and Adjustment choice you can apply later in the summer once St George’s becomes your Firm choice.

Applications for 2021/22 will open 1 June 2021

What is the refund policy if I change my mind?

We understand that these are uncertain times and we can assure you that if for any reason you change your mind and are not able to take up your accommodation contract from the start, you can withdraw at no cost.  
Please remember that you are not required to pay any fees or deposits when you make your application. When you are offered a room later in August, you can then decide if you take it. If you do decide to take it, it’s at that stage you will pre-pay £150 of the first instalment of rent. But even after this if you change your mind, before coming, let us know and we can fully refund you the £150.  

So if you are not certain yet, we still encourage you to make your application.

What are we doing to ensure our campus and accommodation is COVID safe?

We have already implemented a range of processes to facilitate social distancing on campus including one-way systems and distance markers. We have also put into practice a variety of infection control measures, including enhanced cleaning, and we are following all Government guidance to ensure that our campus is Covid-19 secure. Where needed, Personal Protective Equipment will be provided for you. 

We are also ensuring your accommodation is COVID-safe by following the latest UK government guidance. We will be providing a full safety briefing to students on arrival.    

What support is there if I am experiencing financial hardship?
International students are defined as vulnerable, which means that you should have guaranteed appropriate accommodation and immediate access to hardship funds if necessary. We continue to offer dedicated student support meaning [[[NBSP]]] you will [[[NBSP]]] have access to a range of support services, including wellbeing and disability support when you join us. [[[NBSP]]] We know how important mental health is which is why we have expanded our counselling provision so that we are here if and when [[[NBSP]]] you need [[[NBSP]]] support. We also offer students access to Big White Wall, an online support service which can be accessed 24/7. 
Will I need to self-isolate on arriving to the UK?

Firstly, you must not travel if you symptoms of the illness or have been in contact with people who may be infected. 

If you arrive in the UK on or after 8 June, you will be subject to self-isolation rules ('quarantine'). Students are not exempt. Full details are in government guidance on how to self-isolate on arrival in the UK.  

In summary, you will have [[[NBSP]]] to provide your journey and contact details on an online form 48 hours or less before you travel to the UK [[[NBSP]]] and you will not be allowed to leave the place where you are staying in the UK for your first 14 days, except in very limited situations. You may be fined a sum of money if you fail to provide details of where you plan to stay and, in England, if you do not self-isolate. This means that if you intend to come to the UK for study, you must take into account these extra days of not being able to attend classes, see other people or leave your accommodation except for very limited reasons. There is no end date yet for these measures. 

You can self-isolate in our Halls accommodation and give the address below as your contact details on the online form. If you decide to do this please let our Accommodation Team know as soon as possible (by emailing so that they can make arrangements.  

My friend and I are coming to St George’s together. Can we live in the same flat?

We cannot guarantee that you will be allocated rooms in the same flat, but you can request this in the notes on your application. Horton Halls is a small site, so please be assured that if you’re not in the same flat, you’ll still be very nearby.

If I defer my course until next year, am I guaranteed accommodation?

Yes, just as long as you put through your accommodation application for next year by the given deadline.

How long will my halls licence last?

The halls licence lasts for the full academic year. The exact term dates will depend on your course. 

When can I arrive at the halls?

You can arrive from the first date of your contract. This varies per person, but we will be in touch regarding your arrival beforehand. Our biggest arrivals weekend is 19-20 September 2020.

Do I need to take out insurance?

St George’s has contents insurance for you with Endsleigh, the number one student insurance provider. This does not protect laptops and other items when outside of your room. Please check the cover, so you understand what’s provided.

Enter the policy number HH1208 on the Endsleigh website to check the details, including details on how to extend and personalise the cover to protect your valuables.

Can my family/friends stay with me when I first arrive?

Our visitor policy states that you can have an overnight visitor for a maximum of 3 consecutive nights, and a total of 5 nights per calendar month.

There are often events in halls on arrival, and this is a good opportunity for you to meet your new flatmates, so it’s worth considering whether you want to have others staying with you during this crucial time.

Note: Currently we are not permitting any visitors due to COVID-19. 

Can my family/friends stay with me during the year?

Yes. Our visitor policy states that you can have an overnight visitor for a maximum of 3 consecutive nights, and a total of 5 nights per calendar month. All overnight visitors must be over 16.

Note: Currently we are not permitting any visitors due to COVID-19. 

Do I have to arrive on the start date of my contract?

No, but if you’re arriving on another day, it’s worth letting us know in advance.

Can I arrive earlier?

This is sometimes possible, but we cannot guarantee it. Please contact the accommodations team in advance.

We have other activities at halls during the summer, as well as some maintenance works, so it depends on your request.

Can I smoke anywhere in the halls?

No, Horton Halls is a no smoking site. There is no smoking on any of the premises, including courtyards and areas near to the entrances. If you do wish to smoke, there is a designated area away from the main entrance.

Can I have a letter stating where I live, to help me open a bank account?

Yes, once you have moved in, we can give you a letter with your halls address, so that you can open a bank account. You’ll need to make sure you have updated your term-time address on evision first.

The address for halls is:

Room number (eg A001)
Horton Halls
St Georges Grove
Tooting, London
SW17 0BD

I have not been offered a room in halls. Where can I live?
If you are not offered a room in halls, we will help you to find alternative accommodation. There are some private halls of residence nearby that you might choose to book into, or lots of our students live in shared housing in the local area for example. Many of our students also choose to commute from their family home if they live in the South East of England.
Where do I look for alternative accommodation?

University of London Housing Services have lots of information on their website about finding accommodation – this can be a good place to start.

There are some private halls of residence nearby, that you might like to consider.

Alternatively, many of our students live in shared housing in the local area. If you have a group of people you wish to look with, you can find a rental property together. Alternatively, there are often single rooms available in a rental property, where other students have already let the house.

I am a second or third year student and cannot find accommodation. Can I stay in halls?

As a continuing student, you are eligible to apply for accommodation in halls, but there is no guarantee that we will be able to offer you a room. We will normally not be in a position to offer a room to continuing students until August/September 2020, so would strongly recommend that you seek alternative accommodation, and do not rely on getting a room in halls.

If you have a disability or medical condition, please contact our Disability Advisor to discuss any specific accommodation needs. You will be asked to provide supporting medical evidence to support your application.

If you are a care leaver, we can offer accommodation for the duration of your course. Please contact the accommodation team for further information.


Find a profileSearch by A-Z