Your dependents might be able to apply to join or remain with you in the UK if they're from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.

London skyline

A dependent is either:

  • your husband, wife or civil partner
  • your unmarried or same-sex partner
  • your child under 18 years old - including if they were born in the UK during your stay

Dependents must apply online outside the UK and one of the following conditions must apply to you:

  • you're a government sponsored student and the course you're coming to the UK to study is more than six months long; or
  • you're coming to the UK to study a postgraduate level course which is at least 12 months long

Read more on the GOV.UK website

Read more using the GOV.UK points-based system dependent policy guidance

Read more from the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA)

Please note that the above information is subject to change; please check the GOV.UK website for updates. This information is provided is given in good faith for information purposes only. This information is not intended constitute legal advice. St George’s, University of London does not warrant the accuracy of the information provided and accepts no liability whatsoever on any claims arising from it.

Last Updated: Thursday, 11 June 2015 13:18