Many international students in the UK on a Tier 4 (General) visa are allowed to work whilst they are studying. However this is not true for all students and even those who are allowed to work are still subject to certain restrictions.

Who is allowed to work?

If you are in the UK with a Tier 4 (General) visa, your visa in your passport or BRP will state whether you are able to work during your studies. You must not work if your passport or BRP states ‘no work’ or ‘work prohibited.’

Visit the UK Council for International Student Affairs for more information

EU national students (excluding Bulgaria and Romania) or those from Switzerland are allowed to work in the UK during their studies. Students from Bulgaria or Romania may be required to apply for a registration certificate before they are allowed to work. This can be obtained from the Home Office.

Read more on the GOV.UK website

What work am I allowed to do?

If you are studying at degree level, you are allowed to work 20 hours per week during term time and full time during your holidays. Term time refers to any period in which you are supposed to be doing academic work, such as attending classes, preparing/revising for exams, doing coursework, or writing essays.

If you are studying below degree level, you are allowed to work 10 hours per week during term time and full time during your holidays.

Income tax and national insurance

You are liable to pay income tax and national insurance contributions. If you work during your studies, any income tax and national insurance due will be deducted from your wages before you receive them.

If you are employed you must have a National Insurance (NI) number or have at least applied for one. To apply for a NI number, you will need to telephone the Jobcentre Plus National Insurance allocation service. They will arrange for you to undertake an evidence of identity interview. For further information, please visit GOV.UK.





Last Updated: Thursday, 28 February 2019 16:39