Skip to content

If you are a student from England, there are grants available from the Government and St George’s, University of London to support your living and course costs. Eligibility depends on your personal circumstances and household income.

St George’s Opportunity Fund Grant 2020/21

The St George’s Opportunity Fund Grant is our bursary for students who are ordinarily resident in England. By offering this extra funding we aim to support students from lower income backgrounds to access and progress on their first Higher Education course. Eligible students will receive this support from St George’s in addition to their student finance. Please note that previous study at Higher Education level may affect entitlement.

Assessment process

Students will be assessed for the St George’s Opportunity Fund Grant using the information given on their Student Finance England application. There is no separate application form to complete. Please ensure that you (and your parent(s)/partner/spouse, if applicable) give permission on the student finance application for the household income details to be shared with the University.

Student Finance England (SFE) make the bursary payments to eligible students on behalf of the University. A notification of entitlement letter will be sent via email and will appear on eligible students’ SFE online accounts later in the autumn term once all students are registered and enrolled.

St George’s appreciates that, for religious or cultural reasons, some students may not wish to take out a student loan on which interest is payable. In order to be considered for the St George’s Opportunity Fund Grant, all students will need to make an application to Student Finance England for a financial assessment. If you do not wish to take out the tuition fee or maintenance loan please specify zero on the Loan Request part of the application.

Care leavers

Care leaver students are those who have been looked after by a Local Authority before coming to University. Care leavers are a priority group for the St George’s Opportunity Fund Grant and, subject to meeting the usual eligibility criteria, will receive the maximum award for their year of study regardless of their household income.

If you are a care leaver please email us at to make us aware of your circumstances and we will get in touch to discuss further support and advice available to you at St George’s.

EU students

EU students who are eligible for funding from Student Finance England (SFE) may also be considered for the St George’s Opportunity Fund Grant. The assessment process is slightly different to that for home students.

EU students who wish to be considered should first make an application to SFE for their tuition fee loan. They should make SFE aware that they also wish to be assessed for the university’s bursary. SFE’s EU and Migrant Workers team will then send a further form for eligible students to complete. They will then complete the financial assessment on behalf of the University.

EU students with queries about the University bursary should contact

Further advice about the assessment process should be directed to Student Finance England’s EU and Migrant Workers team on 0141 243 3570 or by post to the following address:

EU and Migrant Worker team 
Student Finance England
PO Box 89
Darlington, County Durham

Opportunity Fund Grant 2020/21

This table shows bursary amounts for the 2020/21 round of funding:

Household income bandBursary amount in first year of studyBursary amount in subsequent year of study

£0 -£16,000



£16,001 -£25,000



£25,001 -£30,000



Grants for dependants 2020/21

If your course is supported by Student Finance England and you have dependants, you may be eligible for additional grants while you study. All grants for dependants are income assessed so the household income will affect eligibility and entitlement.

Childcare grant

Full-time higher education students using a registered childcare provider can apply for a childcare grant of:

  • up to £169.31 a week for one child

  • up to £290.27 a week for two or more children.

The grant helps with childcare costs for children under 15, or under 17 if they have special educational needs, and can meet up to 85% of the actual cost.

Parents’ learning allowance

Full-time students with children could get up to £1,716 to help with their learning costs. Parents’ learning allowance can help pay for books, study materials and travel.

Adult dependants’ grant

Full-time students in higher education with an adult who depends on them financially can apply for an adult dependants’ grant of up to £3,007.

Disabled Students’ Allowances

You can apply for a non-means tested Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) if you are studying a Higher Education course, usually live in England and have a disability, including a:

  • long-term health condition

  • mental health condition

  • specific learning difference, eg dyslexia.

DSAs can help you pay the extra costs you may have because of your disability. DSAs don’t have to be repaid. The support you get depends on your individual needs and not on household income.

NHS funding for Medicine MBBS

Our medicine programmes are partially funded by NHS Student Bursaries.

Medicine MBBS (5 year) students can apply for NHS support from their fifth year of study.

Medicine MBBS (4 year graduate entry) students can apply for NHS support from their second year of study. For years two, three and four of the MBBS4 course tuition fee funding is split between NHS Student Bursaries and Student Finance.

For the relevant year(s) of study, medicine students can apply to NHS Student Bursaries for a partial/full tuition fee grant plus a non-income assessed £1,000 grant for living costs and an income assessed bursary for living costs. NHS Student Bursaries also offer additional support to students who have a disability and to students with dependants.

For further details please visit our NHS bursary page and the NHS Student Bursaries website.

Students from Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales

If you normally live in Northern IrelandScotland or Wales, you should visit your local student finance website for information about government grants you may be eligible for.


Find a profileSearch by A-Z