The St George’s Concept Development Awards support the translation of research into practical application, including commercialisation.
The aim of the awards is to maximise the societal and economic benefits of the research and can include:
- Proof of concept studies: Prototype development, development of technology to next stage
- Feasibility studies: Demonstration of concept viability in industry settings
- Industry engagement: Demonstrating relevance of technology to industry e.g. holding showcase events to introduce industry to research/academic groups or support short secondments to/from business
- Any St George’s researcher that holds a contract with SGUL or SGUL and SGHT (but not SGHT alone) which extends to the end or beyond the proposed project
- Multi-disciplinary proposals and those with external collaborations are strongly encouraged
- Project must be approved by Institute
Funding and Grant Rules
The funding is not intended to support:
- Value of grants will be determined based on the merit of the application but cannot exceed £30k
- Funding will provide 100% of direct project costs
- Applications must clearly define timelines and milestones
- Projects must commence within 3 months of the award being issued
- All projects must be completed by 31st July 2023
- Early stage “blue skies” research
- Bridging support for staff of PhD students
- Continuation of research grants
- Projects that have already failed in a competitive grant application (without clear justification)
Projects will be assessed by a cross-institutional Enterprise Awards Panel. The assessment will be based on:
- Strength of rationale for the project
- Quality of science
- Un-met medical need
- Future commercial opportunity
- IP position
- Likelihood of project leading to the development of a proposal for further translational funding
- Industry involvement
Transparency and Conflict of Interest
We are committed to transparency through the decision-making process. Any panel member who has a conflict of interest on any submitted project will be asked to declare it, and will not offer opinion on or take part in the awarding process for that project.
How to apply
Applications for the 2022 round of the Concept Development Awards are now open.
The application process will be spread across 2 rounds. Applicants will be asked to submit an initial application for review by the Enterprise and Innovation Team who will provide a first round of feedback before submission to the second round.
A panel of internal and external peers will review applications in the second round and applicants will be asked to pitch their projects to the panel.
Please complete the application form (Word) and return it to firstname.lastname@example.org with the email subject heading "CDA Application".
For further information or to discuss potential applications please contact Ana Araujo email@example.com
2022 Deadlines and Dates
- 2 May 2022 - First Round Applications for review by the Enterprise and Innovation Team
- 6 June 2022 - Second Round Applications for review by the Panel
- W/C 13 June 2022 - Panel meeting and pitches from applicants
- Decisions by 24 June 2022
- 1 August 2022 - Projects start
- 31 July 2023 - Projects end.