Peer-reviewed outputs from projects funded by EU Horizon 2020 (H2020) grants must be made open access.
How do I comply?
For these outputs, authors must deposit their article in a repository, by choosing open access publication by one of the two routes.
- Choose a journal which allows archiving in a repository of the final, peer-reviewed version of the paper * (either by the publisher or the author) (‘green’ open access).
- Authors should check that the embargo period permitted by the journal is no longer than six months, which is the maximum permitted under Horizon 2020 requirement for STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) subjects.
- Publish in a journal that allows the work to be immediately open access (‘gold’ open access).
- The article must still be deposited in a repository even if the gold route is chosen.
- There is usually a cost for this (the author processing charge, or APC).
* To deposit in St George's, University of London repository, SORA, please upload your final accepted manuscript to the relevant publication in your CRIS profile (CC-BY published papers will be identified and uploaded for you on your behalf by the CRIS support and development team).
How do I pay the fees?
The author processing charge (APC) is eligible for reimbursement during the duration of the project. Your anticipated costs for publishing immediate open access should be indicated in your grant proposal. Costs can vary.
You may wish to consider the policies of the journals you hope to submit to, and the charges of the journals when you are writing your grant proposal.
For open access publication charges that fall due after the end of the grant, Horizon 2020 have advised information on this will be forthcoming.
Remember, SGUL researchers can also take advantage of some ‘read and publish’ deals, which means SGUL corresponding authors can publish open access at no extra charge in some journals. These include many Wiley and Springer titles. Please see our Paying Open Access Fees web page for more information.
Where do I get more information?
For more information, please refer to the Horizon 2020 Open Access guidance.
The European Commission (Horizon Europe Framework Programme) is implementing cOAlition S Plan S for papers arsing from all new funding calls opened after 01/01/2021. The Journal Checker Tool can be used to check Plan S compliant journals before you submit.
For assistance with grant applications for H2020, please contact the Research Operations Manager (International) in the Joint Research & Enterprise Services team.
For enquiries about open access, please email the open access team.