Skip to content


Please see below answers to specific international queries. We will be adding to and updating these as more information becomes available so please check back for regular updates. Please also see FAQs for all applicants and offer holders for all other general queries.

View all Close all
How will courses be taught?

The safety of our students is the highest priority. We have reorganised our teaching to take account of Covid-19 precautions, using remote teaching where we can, and appropriate safety precautions for learning that needs to take place on campus, in line with Government guidance. For full details of how each course will be taught in 2020–21, please see the course pages

Will I be issued a CAS if I start my course online?

For every undergraduate course essential, hands-on teaching will be taking place on-campus, with appropriate safety measures in place. To enable the necessary distancing, numbers on campus at any one time have to be carefully controlled, so all the teaching that can be, will be delivered online during the first term.

We expect students to travel to campus, if travel and visa arrangements allow, for the start of term and a CAS will be issued to students who have met all conditions of their offer and have had their visa documentation reviewed by the International Advising Team.

We are aiming to return to face to face teaching, learning and social activities as soon as it is safe to do so and in line with Government guidance.

Are Visa Application centres open around the world?

Since 1 June, many visa application centres outside the UK have re-opened, depending on local restrictions. You can check which centres have actually opened again using Find a visa application centre. Alternatively, for applications in Europe, Africa and parts of the Middle East visit For all other countries, visit VFS Global.

It is still possible to apply online, and to gather all relevant evidence so you can obtain your entry clearance (visa) as quickly as possible when your local application centre does re-open.

You will need to provide biometrics as part of your application. Unlike applications in the UK, we understand that there are no plans to remove this requirement for entry clearance applications, even if you have previously been granted UK immigration permission. In many cases, you will also have to be tested for TB, so you need be realistic about how much time you will need in order to make your application, especially if you cannot yet travel to your nearest TB clinic or visa application centre, or if they are still closed. Priority and super priority services have not been restored yet.

I have questions about Tier 4 visa and immigration, who can I talk to at the university?

Offer holders concerned about obtaining or renewing their visas can contact our International Advising team at

More information about visas and immigration can be found on the international student support pages of our website at International Student Support.

Will I need to take a Covid test before travelling to England?

Yes.  From 15 February 2021, everyone must:

  • provide evidence of a negative COVID-19 test taken up to 72 hours prior to departure
  • book and pay for a travel test package.  This costs £210 and includes 2 COVID-19 tests - to be taken on or before day 2 and on or after day 8 of your quarantine
  • complete a passenger locator form with details of where you will home quarantine when you arrive and the travel test package booking reference number

You must self-isolate (or quarantine) when you enter the UK from any foreign country except Ireland.  

Will I need to self-isolate on arriving in England?

Yes.  You must self-isolate (or quarantine) when you enter the UK from any foreign country except Ireland.

You must either quarantine in the place you’re staying or in a managed quarantine hotel for 10 days. What you need to do depends on where you travel in the 10 days before you arrive in England:

If you are arriving in England, and you are not travelling from a country on the banned travel list, you may be able to pay for a COVID-19 test under the Test to Release scheme to find out if you can reduce your self-isolation period (see below). 

Test to Release Scheme – shorten your period of self-isolation

The government’s Test to Release scheme allows some passengers the option to shorten the mandatory self-isolation period to 5 days. Under the scheme, students who need to self-isolate may have the option to pay for a private COVID-19 test with a private test provider to see if they can end their self-isolation early. 

  • You cannot take a test until you have been in England for 5 full days.
  • If the result is negative, you can stop self-isolating as soon as you receive the results.
  • The Test to Release scheme is not available to anyone who has been in or through any country on the ‘red list’

You should book your test before you travel to England. This is so you can enter details of the test when you opt into the scheme on the passenger locator form.

How to take part in the scheme

To take part in the scheme you need to:

If you decide to take part in the scheme after you have arrived in England, you will need to complete another passenger locator form.

You will have to pay the private test provider for your test. You will need to book an individual test for each person opting into Test to Release, including children.

The test provider will either send a test to your address or you can attend a testing site. You may leave your house to post your test or to travel directly to and from the testing site. You should follow safer travel guidance and avoid public transport if possible.

What if due to travel restrictions I cannot travel for the start of my course?

At the moment, it is difficult to know how long the current disruption will last. We fully appreciate that everyone’s circumstances are different, and some students may be unable to travel to campus in time for the start of term, we hope to accommodate this as much as possible.

Students will be notified of a latest course start date, this is the latest date that they must arrive on site for teaching.

What should I do, I have been granted a Tier 4 visa but I am not able to enter the UK?

If you have been granted immigration permission but you are not able to enter the UK to start your study, you must contact the International Advising Team ( to discuss your options. The opportunity to study online will depend upon your programme of study. A ‘latest course arrival date’ will be noted on your CAS, this is the latest date that you must arrive on campus.

If your 30-day entry clearance vignette has expired, you can request a replacement entry clearance with revised validity dates free of charge until the end of 2020. The replacement entry clearance will be valid for 90 days. Please contact the International Advising Team at if you need further information on how to request a replacement.

What is happening with Police Registration during Covid-19?

All UK police forces, including the Overseas Visitors Registration Office (OVRO) in London, have suspended police registration and issued guidance for applicants. Please continue to check the OVRO website for updates.

The advice for everyone is that you will not be penalised for not attending or making an appointment. This includes people who have left the UK without registering, and who will need to re-enter in the future.

Who can I contact for further information not covered by the FAQs?
Please contact the admissions team on for any queries related to your offer.

For visa related queries please contact the International Advising team on


Find a profileSearch by A-Z