London skyline

Your Visa

If your Tier 4 (General) visa application is for a course longer than six months, a short 30 day travel visa will be stuck into your passport to allow entry into the UK. It is your responsibility to check that all information listed is correct. In particular, you should check:

  • your personal details
  • that it says ‘Tier 4’
  • that it contains St. George’s Tier 4 Sponsor license number
  • that it has the correct start and end dates

When reviewing your start and end dates, please keep in mind the following:

  • if your course is six months or longer you'll be able to come to the UK one month before your course start date
  • if you course is less than six months you'll be able to come to the UK seven days before your course start date
  • if your course is 12 months or longer your visa should end four months after your course end date
  • if your course is at least six months but less than 12 your visa should end two months after your course end date
  • if your course is less than six months then your visa should end seven days after your course end date

If any information listed on your visa is incorrect it's important that you have it corrected as soon as possible.

Upon arrival, you will have to collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP), which will provide permission to stay in the UK for the full duration of your course.

If your Tier 4 (General) visa is for a course less than six months, you will be issued with a sticker in your passport which will provide permission to stay in the UK for the full duration of your course.

Registering with the police

You may need to register with the police if you come to the UK for longer than 6 months. You will be told if you need to register with the police on one of the following documents:

  • your entry visa vignette
  • your biometric residence permit (BRP)
  • the Home Office letter that approved your application for leave

You must register at the Overseas Visitors Records Office within 7 days of arriving in the UK or within 7 days of getting your BRP.

Failure to do so can impact any future immigration applications and also can curtail your current leave.

Visit GOV.UK for more information.

Travelling abroad

Tier 4 (General) visas are multiple entry which means that you can travel in and out of the UK and your visa will remain valid until its expiry date. However, you must make sure that you have suitable immigration permission to enter the country that you are travelling to.

For more information you should contact the embassy or consulate of the country that you intend to visit. If you want to travel to Europe, you may be required to apply for a Schengen Visa before you travel.

Visit Schengen Visa Info for more information

Interrupting your studies

If you take an interruption of studies, the University is required to withdraw its sponsorship and report this to the Home Office. The Home Office will curtail your visa and you will be required to leave the UK or submit an alternative visa application within 60 days of the date of the report. When you wish to return from interruption, the University will issue you with a new CAS to apply for a new Tier 4 (General) visa.

Reporting Changes

You must report changes to your address, personal details or circumstances if you have a visa or BRP.

Please visit GOV.UK for more information.

Please note that the above information is subject to change; please check the GOV.UK website for updates. This information is provided is given in good faith for information purposes only. This information is not intended constitute legal advice. St George’s, University of London does not warrant the accuracy of the information provided and accepts no liability whatsoever on any claims arising from it.

Last Updated: Monday, 15 June 2015 10:50

Visit us

Meet staff and current students at an open day or join us for a tour of the facilities.

Fees and funding

Discover more about the cost of our courses, budgeting in London and funding available.

Student life

It isn't all study at St George's. There's a rich and varied life outside of the library.

Social media

Keep up-to-date with events and find out what’s been happening here.

icon-facebook-50  icon-twitter-50