Life at St George's and living in London
Few other capital cities anywhere in the world boast the vibrancy of cosmopolitan London. Fewer still can compare with its tremendous diversity of world-renowned historical and cultural attractions, famous shopping centres or wealth of leisure and sporting facilities. London is also, of course, a global hub of finance, business and politics.
If you want to take in a West End show, sample international cuisine, dance all night or just enjoy a quiet drink with friends London has all of this and more.
Our south west London location in Tooting offers you the best of both worlds – it is small enough to maintain a friendly, local atmosphere, but it is close enough to all the attractions of central London. You will have all the advantages of living in one of the most exciting cities in the world without all the cost!
Tooting fast facts
- Tooting Lido is the largest open air pool in the British Isles. Brad Pitt counts as one of its visitors. Scenes from the film ‘Snatch’ were filmed there
- There are more than 50 places to eat in Tooting
- There are more than 15 places of worship in Tooting, servicing four major religions
- Jimi Hendrix, The Police, The Rolling Stones and Jerry Lee Lewis have all performed at Tooting Granada, (now Gala Bingo)
- Merton Abbey Mills, a short bus ride away, is host to Abbeyfest, a Summer festival of theatre, music and comedy
- Tooting has been settled since pre-Saxon times, and its unusual name name means "the dwelling of the sons of Totas"
Tooting has excellent public-transport links, with two tube and one train station, and multiple bus routes. This includes two night buses that run all night, offering direct access to London’s world famous night life. St George’s is five minutes from Tooting Broadway tube station, and central London and all its attractions are just 25 minutes away.
A great advantage of our Tooting location in London Transport's Zone 3 is that students are able to access affordable accommodation within walking distance of lectures – saving you time and money getting around.
With a Student Oyster Card you get 30 per cent off tube and bus travel, and your Students’ Union card entitles you to discounts and concessions at a wide range of shops, clubs and cinemas. Plenty of museums and art galleries are free to enter, and there’s no charge for mooching through the streets and parks of this awe-inspiring city. Whatever your budget, you should be able to make London your own. More information on getting around London.
Of course, as we are St George’s, University of London, you are also free to use University of London Union facilities and services, take part in ULU events and join its clubs and societies, most of which are based in and around the city centre.