Support for international students

Whether you are considering working while you study, working in the UK after you graduate or working back at home, below are some key places to help you get started.  As an international student you also have full access to all of the support provided by the careers service so if you wish to discuss your career, make an appointment to talk to the careers adviser.  The careers adviser can not give you advice on work permits or visas.  For this you can contact the St George's international student support officer.

The International Futures website has been designed for University of London students and contains lots of helpful information, including a blog, job vacancies and tips.  For an overview of how your careers service can support you, you can download the International Student helpsheet. 

•   Working while you study
•   Working in the UK after you graduate 
•   Working outside of the UK after you graduate 


Working while you study

Work experience is an important factor in gaining employment after you graduate, both in the UK and in many other countries.  There are a few factors you need to consider before you start looking for part-time work.

•    You may have some restrictions on the amout and type of work you can do.  These are linked to the student visa you have been given and may be printed in your passport.  The careers service is not authorised to give any advice on work permits or visas so you can contact the St George's International student support officer.
•   You need to make sure that your studies will not suffer by taking on extra commitments - there is no point in having great work experience if you don't pass your degree!
•    Everyone who works in the UK needs a National Insurance (NI) number.  This is used to ensure you make national insurance contributions and pay the correct tax.  You don't need one of these to start working however, as it sometimes take a long time to get a number, it is worth applying when you start to look for work.  To apply for an NI number, contact the National Insurance Office on 0845 600 0643. For more information, please visit the DirectGov website.
•    For more information you can visit The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website, and the UK Education website.

Working in the UK after you graduate

If you are thinking of working in the UK after your studies, it's worth consulting the Home Office UK Board Agency (UKBA) website on a regular basis during your studies as Government regulations for work permits are continuously changing.

Here are some resources specifically aimed at helping international students into the UK workforce.

•   Depending on your visa, you may need to obtain sponsorship to work in the UK.  The UKBA has produced a register of companies who can offer sponsorship.  If an organisation is not on the list, it does not necessarily mean that you could not work for them. Read UKBA's guidance on how to sponsor a migrant worker and consider including information about sponsorship in your application. If you are the best candidate for the job, then the employer may be willing to become a registered sponsor in order to hire you.
•   Many graduate recruitment programmes have application deadlines up to a year in advance of when you would actually begin your job (November of your final year), so starting early is always best.  International Futures and the Prospects website has useful information to help you understand the UK job market. 
•   The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) also have good information and a free-phone help line that you can access.
•   To search for jobs, visit our Find a Job page.

Working outside of the UK after you graduate

Different countries have different labour markets, visa regulations and ways in which people find and get work.  If you are considering either returning to your home country or working somewhere else in the world, it's worth doing some research to find out about recruitment cycles, CV styles and companies in that country so you're in a strong position to find a job.  Here are some starting points:

•   The Association of Graduate Careers Advisers (AGCAS) has produced a series of 15 country guides for students who are returning to their home country to work.  If you're country isn't covered here, you could try the Prospects country profiles
•   The Prospects website has two useful sections - the Working outside the UK section and the over 50 country profiles which include visa requirements if you are looking at working in a country that isn't your home. 
•   It's important to maintain any networks you have at home while you are studying in the UK.  Getting a Linkedin profile is a common way of doing this.  There is a slidecast on Linkedin on the International Futures website.
•   Newcastle University has a comprehensive list of international jobsites for you to begin your job hunt. 


the careers group logo


Our undergraduate courses

Our postgraduate courses

Our Facebook