Cardiovascular Sciences Research Centre
Head of Centre: Prof Juan-Carlos Kaski
The Cardiovascular Sciences Research Centre is a multidisciplinary group which amalgamates clinical, surgical and basic science research expertise. The mission of the Research Centre is to understand mechanisms of cardiovascular disease and to identify rationale treatments and preventative measures.
The main research areas of the Centre include:
- Atherosclerosis and Cardiovascular Prevention: Lead researchers - Prof Juan-Carlos Kaski and Prof Kausik Ray
- Arrhythmia, Cardiac Death and Cardiomyopathy: Lead researchers - Prof John Camm, Prof Sanjay Sharma and Dr Elijah Behr
- Aortic Aneurysms: Lead researchers - Prof Matt Thompson and Dr Gillian Cockerill
Find out more about the Cardiovascular Sciences Research Centre.
Research groups and units operating within the Centre (Groups and Unit leads)
- Arrhythmias/genetics/sudden cardiac death (SCD) - (E Behr, J Camm)
- Cardiomyopathy and CVD/SCD in athletes (S Sharma)
- Pathogenesis of angina pectoris and biomarkers (JC Kaski, I Dimitriu)
- Cardiovascular prevention and epidemiology (K Ray)
- Vascular Biology Research Unit (G Cockerill)
- Vascular Institute (M Thompson)
- Lymphatics (P Mortimer)
- Cardiac Surgery (M Jahangiri)
- Marfan Syndrome and associated conditions (A Child)
- Heart failure (L Anderson)
- TAVI research (S Brecker, M Jahangiri)
- Drug trials (Clinical Research Facility)
Researchers in the Centre have strong collaborative links with St George’s Healthcare NHS Trust and are supported by major funders, including The British Heart Foundation (BHF), Cardiac Risk for the Young (CRY), the Medical Research Council (MRC) and European Union (EU).
The Vascular Biology Research Group, headed by Dr Gill Cockerill, aims to improve prognosis and management of treatment and assist in the development of new pharmacological treatments of disease.
The Immunology Research Group, headed by Dr Ingrid Dumitru, examines the immunological basis of cardiovascular disease.
4th annual scientific meeting of CVSRC
The 4th annual scientific meeting of the cardiovascular sciences research centre takes place on Monday 9 December 2013.
Chairpersons Professor Juan-Carlos Kaski and Professor Kausik Ray will introduce an internationally renowned faculty in the field of cardiology. There will be opportunity to interact with opinion leaders and discuss the current landscape and future directions of anti-coagulants and anti-platelets.
Highlights will include:
- Professor John Camm, St George's University of London, Chairman of the ESC guidelines for atrial fibrillation, discussing the current guidelines
- Professor Keith Fox, University of Edinburgh, Past President of the British Cardiovascular Society, discussing future directions in the management of NSTE-ACS
- Professor the Lord Ajay Kakkar, discussing treatment options for stroke
- Professor Gabriel Steg, University of Paris, Chairperson of the research committee for European Relations Committee, discussing ACS
Early registration is recommended as spaces are limited. The course has been accredited for 6 CPD points. Registration is free and can be made via the website http://www.cardiovascular-sciences.org/events/annual-scientific-meeting/.
If you have any queries regarding this event, please contact Alison McClymont at email@example.com or +44208 725 2994.