The Academic Forum is a wide forum for the discussion of the academic policy of the institution and for the dissemination of information. The Academic Forum may provide advice or make recommendations to Senate on academic matters and may also advise Council or make recommendations to Council on the general management of the institution. The powers, duties and membership of the Academic Forum shall be prescribed by the Statutes.
Should you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact the Clerk to Academic Forum: Mr Derek Baldwinson email@example.com
protocol for meetings
1. Provisional dates of Academic Forum meetings will be published in July by the secretary to the Academic Forum.
2. Members of the AF will be issued with a meeting date reminder. The reminder, which will be issued by the secretary to the AF, will be sent by email.
3. Members are invited to:
a) indicate an intention to attend the next meeting;
b) propose items for inclusion on the agenda and identify any supporting papers
c) indicate whether they would be prepared to chair the meeting.
4. If the number of AF members who indicate that they will attend the meeting falls below 20, the scheduled meeting will be cancelled. If this is the case, the Principal (or the Principal’s nominee) will issue a response to the issues identified under 3b (above). The response may take the form of a blog entry of a report at next Open Forum.
5. The scheduled meeting will be held if the number of AF members who indicate that they will attend the meeting exceeds 20.
6. If the meeting is to be held, an agenda and any supporting papers will be published on the SGUL website. All agenda items raised under 3b (above) will be included on the published agenda. The sequencing of agenda items will be determined by the secretary.
7. If no AF member puts their name forward as prospective chair, the Principal will nominate the chair. The name of the Principal’s nominee will be announced in the agenda papers for before the meeting takes place. Members of the AF can, if they wish, propose an alternative to the chair nominated by the Principal.
8. If more than one member of the AF puts their name forward as prospective AF chair, attendees at the AF meeting will determine who will chair the meeting.
9. With the agreement of the chair, additional items can be added to the agenda. With the agreement of the majority of attendees, items may be deleted from agenda.
10. Notes of meetings will be prepared by the Secretary and included in the agenda papers for the next scheduled meeting of Senate (unless the deadline for Senate agenda items prevents this). Notes of meetings will in any case be published on the SGUL website.
Q:\Committees\Academic Forum\Academic Forum procedural note.doc